Las Vegas Immigration Lawyer

Committed Representation in Henderson, Boulder City, Green Valley, and the Surrounding Areas

Immigration is an ever-evolving process. While the law may not change that often, the interpretation and implementation of the law can shift with every presidential administration. Different priorities and focuses can make various immigration processes easier or more challenging. The forms used to obtain benefits change regularly, and new information is often required with each adjustment. Many immigration processes are overwhelming and can take more than a year to complete.

At Fox, Imes & Crosby, LLC, we are ready to help you navigate the maze that is the United States immigration system. Our goal is to help our clients take the necessary steps to become a legal part of our great nation. We assist clients from all walks of life with complicated immigration paperwork, and some of our staff have gone through these processes themselves. Our Las Vegas immigration lawyers have over 50 years of combined experience and are ready to advocate for you every step of the way. 

Our multilingual team is made up of compassionate professionals who are here to help you and never judge you, no matter your situation or current immigration status. Contact Fox, Imes & Crosby, LLC online or call (702) 941-6320 to schedule a consultation.

About Family-Based Immigration

Family-based immigration requires two family members: a petitioner and a beneficiary. The petitioner must be a citizen or a lawful permanent resident in order to apply for a green card on behalf of a relative outside the U.S. who wishes to live here (the beneficiary). The beneficiary may have a spouse and children who are eligible to receive benefits in some categories.

Types of Family-Based Immigration

All immigrants who are going through family-based immigration processes fall into 2 categories: immediate relative and family preference categories.

  • Immediate Relative Categories: spouse, parents, and unmarried children (under 21) of U.S. citizens
  • Family Preference Categories: other qualifying family-based relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a lawful permanent resident
    • F1: Unmarried, adult children (over 21) of U.S. citizens
    • F2-A: Spouses and unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
    • F2-B: Unmarried, adult children of permanent residents
    • F3: Married children (any age) of U.S. citizens
    • F4: Siblings of adult U.S. citizens

If your relative is a grandparent, grandchild, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle, cousin, or in-law -- they cannot be directly petitioned via family-based immigration.

How To Get A Green Card Through Family

It can take an average of 1 - 3 years to obtain a green card through family-based immigration. The sooner you begin, the better, and working with an experienced Las Vegas immigration lawyer at Fox, Imes & Crosby, LLC is even more helpful in ensuring that there are no mistakes in your forms and any reasons for delay or denial.

About the green card process:

  • Petitioner submits Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative to USCIS.
  • Beneficiary applies for a green card after USCIS approves the form and a visa number is available.

There are two ways to apply for a green card: consular processing and adjustment of status.

  • Consular processing is for those who are outside the U.S. and wish to obtain a green card or immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate
  • Adjustment of status is for those who are already within the U.S. and they are changing their immigrant status from a nonimmigrant visitor to a permanent resident

Have a question about family-based immigration? Call a skillful immigration lawyer in Las Vegas at (702) 941-6320. Se habla Español.

Becoming a United States Citizen

One of the most common paths to becoming a permanent citizen of the United States is through a family-based petition. Generally, there are three basic steps involved in this process.

  • First, you will need a current U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who is willing to sponsor you. Sponsorship, if approved, gives you the opportunity to apply to become a lawful permanent resident. Keep in mind that citizens and lawful permanent residents (also called LPRs and green card holders) can only sponsor certain types of relatives. Depending on the sponsoring party’s status, eligible family members can include spouses, fiancés, children, siblings, and parents.
  • The second step involves applying for lawful permanent resident status. You can only do this once a family-based petition becomes available. Your current location will determine how this is done. If you are located abroad, you must complete “consular processing” through your home country’s U.S. embassy or consular office. If you are already in the United States, you can apply for an “adjustment of status” directly through United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

This application process can be rife with complications. We will work closely with you from the beginning to ensure you understand what steps will likely need to be taken, what the costs will be, and what your chances of success are. Our Las Vegas immigration attorneys will do everything we can to ensure your petition is properly prepared and puts you in the best possible position. While we cannot guarantee success, we strive to make a successful outcome the most likely outcome.

Once you have received your green card and become a lawful permanent resident, you will need to undergo a mandatory waiting period. Then, you can proceed to the third and final step, applying for U.S. citizenship. You must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for naturalization, including having lived here legally for enough time, not having abandoned your status by going abroad for extended periods, and demonstrating good moral character. 

We will verify that you meet all eligibility criteria and assist you with the necessary paperwork. Our team at Fox, Imes & Crosby, LLC will also help you prepare for the naturalization exam and in-person interview. We will be there with you at this interview to ensure the process is fair and handled appropriately. If your application is approved, you will attend an oath ceremony and swear allegiance to the United States, making you a permanent citizen.

VAWA Petitions and U Visas

A family-based petition is not the only means of becoming a lawful permanent resident. We can also assist with applications under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). VAWA petitions can be submitted by women and men who have suffered in a physically, emotionally, and/or mentally abusive relationship. We can help victims obtain green cards when their partners use their immigration status as a way to control them. Our firm’s team can confidentially discuss your circumstances and walk you through your legal options.

Our Las Vegas immigration lawyers can also help certain victims of crimes adjust their status through U visas. If you are the victim of a crime, you do not have to let your undocumented status prevent you from coming forward and bringing criminals to justice. When you are able to assist law enforcement, you may be able to get a green card and avoid removal while an investigation is ongoing. You may also be able to apply for your immediate family members if they are here with you in the United States. We can determine if you are eligible for this benefit and help you take the necessary steps to gain protection.

If you are struggling to move through the immigration system, get the capable legal representation you deserve. Contact Fox, Imes & Crosby, LLC online or call (702) 941-6320 to discuss your situation.


  • “Highly, highly recommend them for your debt solutions.” - Debra M.
  • “I would definitely recommend Crosby & Fox for a bankruptcy service.” - Misdraim G.
  • “I am grateful for Troy and how he handle my case & would & did recommend Mr. Fox to family & friends.” - Stacy L.

    Contact Fox, Imes & Crosby, LLC

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy